Monday, July 4, 2011

Fire Update!

People have been allowed back into Los Alamos. Very happy people there. They have been warned that they may have to leave again if the fire changes directions. Seems it's heading toward Santa Clara Pueblo. It has already destroyed several home in the pueblo and endangering the sacred canyon they use. They are doing their best to stop the fire and hopefully will have full containment. I believe they said it's about 60% contained. I know the Wallow Fire in Arizona is 95% contained. The Donaldson fire (started on Sam Donaldson's ranch) is about 65% contained. Another fire erupted east of Los Alamos earlier today. I haven't heard much about that one. On Saturday a fire started on Los Alamos Nat'l Lab grounds. They said a squirrel started that one. Seems it ran up the powerline and got electrocuted, fell to the ground and started the fire. Poor thing. Pacheco fire is still going, too. You can see the smoke to the north and west of the city.
Smith's grocery stores pulled all their fireworks from their stores early last week. Albertson's and WalMart soon followed. They said they don't want to have to see anymore fires that would destroy people's lives. Some of the people that are selling fireworks around the city also closed shop saying they'll lose money but it's better than to have a life lost, home lost or more than that. The Governor said she can't ban fireworks (state law says you can't ban anything that is for sale) but just be careful what you do. After that several towns completely banned fireworks in their towns. They said they could be sued but it would be better than have their town burn down. Albuquerque doesn't have enough money to be sued so they aren't banning fireworks but asked people to be careful and think twice before doing something stupid. Wish that 14 year old thought about it before starting that fire near the zoo the other night. He INTENTIONALLY set that fire in the Bosque. The Bosque had been closed from Pena Blanca, NM down to Socorro, NM. No one is allowed in the area but the stupid people go in there anyway. They've all been arrested. I am glad they closed it because I live close to there. Last time it was on fire it was the scariest time because of the fear it was going to jump to the east side of the river and that's where we all live!!
Firework shows are at Balloon Fiesta Park, Rio Rancho's Loma Park and Isotopes Park this evening. I am staying home as everyone else will be out there. I thought about going to park around the area and watch but everyone else that would rather not pay to enter the parks are going to park around the areas to watch. Last time it was way too crowded to watch them. So I'm staying home. Maybe watch a movie.
My granddaughter is 3 months old!! Yeah, I said granddaughter. I told my niece I will not be called grandma, just her mom can be grandma but everyone else says that I'm grandma no matter what I think. I still think I'm the Great Aunt because I am!! My niece is just an Aunt!! My niece says I can be the Great Aunt since I am a great one. My other nephew agrees with her! Yay for them!! But it the other relatives trying to make it 'the real' way. Joella belongs to my other nephew, my niece and nephew's brother!! Ha, did I confuse anyone? I'm confused. Juella is Joella's aunt!!
Now I gotta get back to work!! I am working at trying to get my pictures into scrapbooks! I thought it would be hard to do as I am not an artistic person. It takes me days to think of something. I've found some pictures that my brothers had and am working on putting that all together, too.
Happy 4th to all!!!

No comments: