Monday, June 27, 2011

Mandatory Evacuation!!

Los Alamos has been issued a mandatory evacuation now that the Las Conchas fire is near the city. I am praying that they can stop it from hitting the city.
I remember back when the fires hit the town. My brothers were working out there and there was word going around the neighborhood they were working that they need to evacuate. Back here in Albuquerque, their boss told them to stay because the fire won't get to where they are. But they're in Los Alamos and could see the fire in the backyard. They decided to ignore their boss and packed their things, as quickly as possible. They left behind the paint and things like that. Only took their stuff. As they were sitting in traffic trying to get back here, they said the fire hit the homes on the street they were on. And they were sure those popping noise were the paint cans left behind. Their boss was pretty mad that they lost all that. But the guys were not going to spend any more time retreiving that stuff. I mean he insisted they guys stay but once the sheriff got there, he told them to leave. This was about 10 years ago, or so. I don't remember exactly when the fire hit there.
It was just a scary feeling last night when I heard about the fire over there. I look to the north from here and you see the smoke from the Santa Fe Nat'l Park and now from Jemez Mountains.

No comments: