Sunday, September 9, 2007

Wide Load

Today as I was driving on the interstate I saw a truck with the sign "Wide Load" and following was a truck loaded with a huge tractor. Reminded of something that happened back in June. I went on a long road trip with my niece, Juella. She has her very best friend living in Landisville, Pennsylvania. I thought it would be nice to get away from home for a few days and travel. I knew she wouldn't say no to a trip to see her best friend. Her best friend, Fran, moved with her family to Pennsylvania about 6 or 7 years ago. They would take turns visiting each other each summer. They really hadn't had any plans this year so I sort of made it for them. So we spent the first night in Oklahoma City. We left early the next morning. Juella is not an early bird like me. So she fell asleep once we were on the interstate. As I was coming up to Shawnee, OK, I passed this huge truck hauling some huge equipment. Way up ahead was the truck with the "Wide Load" sign. I'm driving along and Juella wakes up just as I was going to pass the truck. She looked at the truck, looked back and saw nothing behind us. We had just went over a hill so there's no vehicles in sight. So she looks at the driver as we passed him. He was a big guy and he was eating a doughnut. Juella said "Is that why he has the sign on his truck?" I looked over and I started laughing because of what she said. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the top of the truck coming over the hill. And she asked what was funny. I told her the sign was for the truck coming over the hill. She looked back and saw it coming over the hill. She just laughed about it. She thought he was just saying to beware of the wide load in his truck.

No comments: