Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rain, For Real!!

Can you believe that we actually got some rain? The other night (Friday) the weatherman, Mark Ronchetti, came on the air and said that a big storm was headed our way and that the whole city will get some rain. Of course, me, after hearing that, said, "yeah, I'll believe it when I see it!!" Just a few minutes later my brother comes in and says "Hey, did you see those clouds?" We all went outside to see those clouds and it reminded me of the time we saw clouds like that, maybe around 1990. And those clouds were like the ones we've seen on The Wizard of Oz movie!! And they were moving pretty fast. I thought, oh no, maybe Mark is right. Then I went into the street and looked to the south and those clouds there were even more scarier. Oh my, what storm is coming up and will we get the rain we need. Then the raindrops started falling and then just like that someone must have slit a hole in the cloud because it just came down. And then the winds were blowing harder and next thing you know..........ole Jed's a millionaire............. oh, I mean, the rain was blowing sideways!! Then the power went out!! Oh no, now this means it's gonna be a long night with lots of rain, maybe it'll rain like this all night long!! I could see it now, water coming into the house and then we have to move to higher ground, and the whole place is flooded. Would that really happen? It just kept raining really hard and that wind kept blowing hard. I wondered if it was like this all over the city!
The Isotopes were playing a game and it was sold out. So imagine all the people there. Then there was a concert at the Zoo. Locarno was playing there. And then at the Isleta Amphitheater Luke Bryan was playing a sold out show!! Imagine all those people at these venues and little do they know what was coming to them. I recorded the re-run of the 10 pm news so I can see what we missed since the power was out. Well, it was just crazy. Streets were flooded, mostly in the southern part of the city, where these venues were!! The Zoo got lots of damage with the tree branches falling to the ground. People had to make a run for shelter and safety. Some were hit with falling branches but no serious injuries. They showed the ground afterwards and people didn't have time to grab their belongings. And tree branches were all over the place. The zoo was closed on Saturday so they could clean up the mess. None of the animals were hurt nor escaped! At the Luke Bryan show, people scrambled for shelter and some were met with broken windows on their vehicles!! That's crazy. Guess they got hit with hail. Luke Bryan was able to reschedule his show for September 22. Well, that's during the State Fair and it usually rains during the fair. Hmmm, will it rain again? Last year Rascal Flatts got their show cancelled due to the bad weather..................rain. There was lots of wind with that rain, too. They couldn't reschedule their show and didn't schedule any for this year. Then at the Isotopes game, the field crew was covering the field with tarp not knowing what was going to happen next! The winds came and blew the tarp into the stands but not before causing some havoc on the field. None of the crew was injured but I am sure it scared them when that wind came up and blew the tarp all over the place. All these people had to try to make it home with the roads flooded. The water was over the sidewalks and the lower lying roads were impassable. Then they closed the freeway (I-25) because of broken power lines!! I hear that those power lines are still being worked on and about 4 thousand customers are still without power. That's just crazy!! I would go crazy if I was without for that long. Can you imagine the food in the refrigerator? Crazy, crazy, crazy. After seeing all that damage we didn't have anything like that. The power was out for 3 hours. And a power line down the street, on the other side of the irrigation ditch, was tilted. Not sure if that caused the power to go out. After the rains stopped I had to go drive around to see how far the power was out. It wasn't that big of an area. It was crazy to drive down the road and on one side people have lights on and the other side is completely dark! Passed the bingo hall and people were there playing and it was dark across the street!! Crazy. The police were every where. I guess the mayor had called in extra officers and fire department personnel to help with people who needed help. So after driving around I decided it was best to just go to sleep. And just as I was to fall asleep, the power came back on. The TV came on and just about scared me to death. I forgot it was on when the power went out. So now, who can go back to sleep after that. I tried to go back to sleep but the PNM trucks were going up and down the street, in search of that power pole? I don't know if they knew the street continues on the other side of the irrigation ditch. They finally went that way and found the pole. There is a truck parked there today holding up the pole. Guess they have to put in an order for a new pole? Ha, just saying that to make you all laugh. Who knows, maybe I am right about that. Maybe I'll ask around.
It's funny how the weather people are saying to expect for of what we got Friday night. Don't they know it doesn't happen like that? I mean we had a storm like that back in the 90's and haven't had once since then till now. And then we had that crazy snow storm a few years ago and haven't had anything like that since. And the time it happened before was decades ago. It's just one of those once-in-a-while thingy.
I don't mind getting rain but it's the humidity I hate. I hate it because my hair just doesn't do what I want it to. And no one tells me that my hair is standing on it's ends till I see my reflection or pass by a mirror. I refuse to have short hair because of that. I remember having short hair a long, long time ago and not being able to manage it. With it long, it's more manageable even though I hate it. Avon sold some product to control that but it doesn't work, at least not for me. I must have really weird hair!!
Now I hate watching the local TV stations because all the news people say "We were the first to report about the storm that hit the city...." yeah, right. Who cares? I hate it and I refuse to watch their news. And the more I hear any one of them play that over and over, I really won't watch their station/news because of that. I just get tired of "WE WERE THE FIRST". Any kind of sensational news they always have to say they were the first. All I can say is that I have my station to watch and I don't care that the other station was the first. As far as I'm concerned, my station was the first and only one to do it!! So there!! I am glad that we have other channels to watch so I don't have to hear that stuff. Then I always change the channel when I hear that stuff, too. So glad that I don't have hear it constantly but then I don't get watch what I started. So glad that I am not one of those people that HAVE to watch a certain program. If I miss it, have to miss it, oh well. The world still goes on.

No comments: